Thursday 8 September 2011

The Versatile Blogger Award

So there have been a few more blog posts from me lately than you’d usually expect. In fact, there will be three by the end of the week, including my regular post, when usually I only blog once a fortnight.

The first of these was a post to let everyone know about the guest post I did for Erica Lucke Dean last week, and this is the second.

So, I've been awarded the Versatile Blogger Award by @. Thanks Valerie! You can check her out here or follow her on Twitter.

The rules of the Versatile Blogger Award are:

1. Thank the blogger who awarded you and link back to them.

2. Share 7 interesting facts about yourself.

3. Pass the award on to 15 newly discovered blogs.

Now I assume it’s not compulsory to participate. How could it possibly be enforced? *checks over shoulder for gun-toting assassins* But I decided that it might be a little fun, so I figured I’d give it a shot. In the same spirit, I don’t expect anyone I ‘award’ to feel obliged to participate either. You can take it as a sign of my respect for your blog, and make your own decision about whether to participate. Some of you may well have participated previously.

So here’s seven interesting facts about me:

1. My Mum drove me to my last job interview. It was 2003 and I was aged 22. I would have caught the train, but it was ‘in the city’ and she was concerned for me. She still is. I get admonished not to ‘walk around the city in the dark’! I keep trying to tell her that occasionally this is a necessary evil of my job. And yes, this does mean I have been in the same job for 8 years.

2. At high school I studied mathematics (seriously advanced mathematics – I was the only student invited to advance to the class that studied ‘imaginary’ numbers. I declined, to the teacher’s relief), English (funny, that. Again, advanced…), Ancient History, Agriculture (say what?? And again, advanced – this subject required a scientific experiment with a report to be submitted to the Board of Studies for the entire State. My report was 100+ pages long) and Biology (this was my bludge subject). Notice how many science-type subjects I did? And yet I’m a lawyer who writes epic fantasy… Bizarre, yes? I regret that I didn’t study physics. I looked up the origins of the universe once. For fun. Then got angry when no one had any answers.

3. The best put-down I ever heard was when a fellow student boasted about how he was top of his physics class. Another student replied to him that was only because I wasn’t studying physics. That may have been a complete misrepresentation – I might totally suck at physics! But the look on this guy’s face was priceless.

4. My three best friends I have known for 26 years, 19 years and 19 years respectively. Since I’m 30, that’s not a bad effort. None of them are related to me, but one of them did marry my cousin. Who she didn’t meet through me. Weird, huh?

5. Yes, I am a lawyer. No, I am not the way I am because I’m a lawyer – I am a lawyer because I am the way I am. Did that make sense? No? Try to keep up. The results of my personality profiles are very disturbing. We did one at law school which had 4 categories. Each personality test gave you an X and Y coordinate to plot on a graph, and the whole class had to plot themselves on the graph on the board. Each quadrant of the graph represented a personality type. The closer you were to either axis, the more traits you shared with the personality in the next quadrant. I was in the top left quadrant. Top left of the top left quadrant. About as far from the axes as you could get and still be on the graph. On my own. Everyone else with my personality type was clustered near the intersection of the X and Y axes. Not only am I a weird personality type, I am an extreme example of my personality type.

6. I sing karaoke and I like country music. I don’t usually sing country music at karaoke though. Mine is not a voice generally suited to country music. Mostly I sing songs performed by men, as I have a very deep voice for a woman. A friend and I did a duet once – ‘A Whole New World’ from Aladdin. She was Jasmine and I was Aladdin!

7. My Dad has had a heart transplant. He was placed on the transplant list on Thursday 4 August 2005. I was due to get married on Sunday 14 August 2005. People can spend years on the transplant list, so we idly had the discussion of what we would do if Dad got a transplant before the wedding and couldn’t attend, but not with any seriousness. 36 hours later Mum’s on the phone telling me St Vincent’s Hospital has a heart for Dad and can I meet them there. By 12pm Saturday 6 August Dad had a new heart. I was fortunate enough for the hospital to let Dad out on day release so he could walk me down the aisle. I had a throw-posy for the tossing of the bouquet (because if I threw my actual bouquet it was likely to knock someone unconscious), so I gave my bouquet to Dad to take back to hospital. When Dad made it back to the hospital that evening, the poor chap in the bed next to his woke up and saw a man in a suit carrying flowers and thought he had woken up at his own funeral!

Here are the fifteen 15 people who I think deserve The Versatile Blogger Award.

1. Erica Lucke Deane - The Daily Blog - Light fun! Highly entertaining.

2. Christi McMillan - Christi McMillen

3. Kelly Gamble - Staring Out The Window

4. Leif Notae - Writing More With Less

5. Rhiannon Paille

6. Lisa McFerren - LHM Thoughts

7. D.C. McMillen - Not for the faint of heart! ;-)

8. Sirra - The home of the random tips & information for writers and the wannabe writers - Highly recommended for writers of all kinds

9. AE - Out Loud

10. Heather Jacobs - Heather Jacobs, Author

11. Imran Siddiq - Imran Writes

12. Anime - Anime’s Musings

13. MaryAnn Kempher - Conversations With MaryAnn Kempher - An interactive style blog for writers wanting to share experiences

14. Derek Flynn - Rant, With Occasional Music - I do so like a good rant!

15. Jessie - The Life Story Of A Bookworm



Go Back To My Site

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

eek! I don't have fifteen friends. I have, like eight acquaintances and you listed them all here. And one of them is me. Sigh.

Ciara Ballintyne said...

Don't worry, D.C., 4 of the people I listed were listed on the one that awarded me, too. They just don't need to do it again now :-) And you don't have to do it anyway! Purely optional

World Of Public Opinion said...

Very nice blog you haave here

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Real Time Analytics